1. Remember that a negotiation is NOT a contest. There is not a winner & a loser, rather a better deal can always be found for both parties.
2. Surprisingly enough, you really do have more power than you may think that you do. Be sure to always be looking for ways in which the other side of the table’s power may be more limited than you originally thought.
3. Always write down your negotiating plan BEFORE you start to negotiate. Make sure that during the negotiations you never decide an issue unless you have had a chance to prepare for it. Make sure that you follow your negotiating plan that you made before you started.
4. Don’t be afraid to negotiate no matter how much you might think that the other side has an overwhelming position. Just remember – they might be feeling exactly the same way!
5. Get the best – don’t enter into a negotiation with an inferior team.
6. Get your shots before you negotiate! Make sure that you (and your team) have prepared your immune system to defend your positions before you start to negotiate.
7. Talk less – listen more. Oh, and don’t be critical when you are listening.
8. Ignore title – don’t let the other side of the table intimidate you with their titles or status. Do your homework and then be willing to confront them.
9. Facts can be bent. Make sure that you are not intimidated by facts, averages, or even statistics that are presented by the other side of the table.
10. If a deadlock occurs, don’t spend time talking about all of your problems – the other side has their own and it’s not helpful to spend time talking about yours.